About C. Farmer Ltd.
Farmer Ltd is a family concern, and was started in the mid 1930's by Mr. Charles Farmer, originally selling battery
chargers for recharging lead acid batteries for powering
the early radio receivers, from a wooden hut adjoining his
fathers garage on Smedley Street, Matlock. From this small beginning he
branched out to also selling the radios, and then in due course, TV and
VCR's. The company is now run by his son, Mr. Robin Farmer, and consists of
a large single store, the
workshop, warehousing, and accounts department. Back in the 60's and 70's we also ran two
cable relay systems, one in Bakewell (405 only), and one in Matlock (405 and
625), to provide reception in particularly bad areas. With the advent of the
local relay transmitters from the mid 70's onwards, we were able to close
down and dismantle the systems.
The founders grandson, Mr. Jason Farmer is now the manager of the expanded single showroom.
For some old photographs, visit our pictures page, where we display a few old photos from our archives.